Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Memories of Grandma Phyllis

I still miss Grandma Phyllis after twenty years; in fact, sometimes I think I miss her more now than I did when I was fourteen. I really look forward to seeing her again someday. Here are some fond memories I have of Grandma--little random snippets but still very special to me...

At age 2 with Grandma

Eating Cheerios at Grandma's house. I remember sitting on a barstool at her kitchen counter and eating out of one of her strawberry dishes. I would spoon lots of sugar over my Cheerios--so much, that each time I scraped the bottom of the bowl with my spoon I would get a big blob of sugar sludge. Grandma never got after me for eating too much sugar with my cereal!

Strawberries. Not only did Grandma have the cute little strawberry dishes; she also had strawberries growing in her backyard! Every once in a while she would pick a few little ripe strawberries for me to eat. That is why I now have strawberry dishes of my own, as well as strawberries on my kitchen wall and strawberry knick-knacks on my kitchen shelves.

Storytime. I remember anxiously waiting for Grandma to find her glasses so she could read books to me. A favorite of mine was The Poky Little Puppy. I can still hear her soft voice saying, "tumble-bumble, pell-mell...."

Grandma Visits NYC, 1978


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Way to make me bawl like a baby!